Sunday, January 23, 2011

2010 catch-up: Anniversary trip to Barossa Valley

My half-hearted blogging efforts have finally caught up with me. There's so much going on right now in Brisbane and our lives, but I still have a lot to catch you up on... like from 2010. Yikes. So, in efforts to bring you to present day, I must quickly take you back to October 2010- and to our AMAZING trip to the Barossa Valley for our anniversary. To remind you, for my birthday, Jeff surprised me and told me he had booked us a trip to Barossa, so I had been anxiously anticipating this trip for 3 months time. Let me assure you, it was well worth the wait. Barossa was absolutely magnificent! We had an incredible time and I discovered a sincere love for Shiraz... and have therefore been drinking it ever since ;-)




We flew to Adelaide, which is the main city about an hour outside of the Barossa Valley. See map below for better understanding. We spent one night in Adelaide, which was lovely... spent the evening exploring the city and dined at a wonderful little restaurant with--- you guessed it--- delicious Shiarz from the Barossa Valley.





Jeff opted for a martini?!?



I ordered wine, duh.

The next morning we woke up and departed for the wine country. Jeff hired a driver for the day, who picked us up at 10am from our hotel (an adorable little bed and breakfast) and took us all over the Barossa Valley. We visited 8 different wineries and 2 cheese shops... not sure if I could describe a more perfect day. We had two more days in Barossa/Adelaide, so naturally we spent the second day visiting more wineries and cheese shops and wrapped up our trip with a drive through a lovely little German town and a final stop at the coast. For any of our visitors, planned or potential, I highly recommend stopping in at one of the Australian wineries and will happily volunteer to join you :-) See some of the highlights below...



Our arrival into Barossa Valley


It continues to get more beautiful...First stop- St Hallets



3rd stop- Two Hands



This is for Jeff's noze-brother friends. Recognize this disguise?



First cheese stop


Why thank you, I'll have one of each




And here it is... Jacob's Creek



Jeff at Jacobs Creek. Sad to say, definitely not our favorite.






Jeff being a great sport, trying a glass of 'Father-in-Law'



At the end of day 1...

Watching the sunset at our bed and breakfast

Fast forward to day 3... stop in the German town for a very large beer

Final stop at the coast.

Saying farewell to a wonderful trip...

1 comment:

  1. I'm pumped that you two went to Two Hands or tried that vineyard. That's my old man's favorite affordable wine anywhere. Shiraz is all I can drink.

    And you like my '3rd Degree Berns' moniker? Its from the BBQ touring days. And yeah, I refuse to grow up. Much love from the USA (#1)!

    ReplyDelete