Wednesday, February 2, 2011

2010 catch-up: Our perfect weekend in Melbourne

We've arrived! And right in time for the annual Melbourne Cup Horse Races (think fancier Kentucky Derby). This was our first trip to Melbourne and it was perfect. This city is known for its "four seasons in one day" and that's exactly what we experienced. We arrived on Friday night and enjoyed the evening out with some friends. We then woke up Saturday and got appropriately dressed for our day at the races. We attended Derby Day, which is the day of racing for the younger horses, and more importantly ladies, black and white day. Please check out the amazingly perfect shoes I found for Jeff at a second hand store! If only I could have found a similar pair of heels for myself the weekend really would have been perfect. Regardless, I'm very proud of this purchase. Thankfully I did find an extremely large hat, perfect for the races.

Got to love perfect finds at second hand stores


We began the day with clear skies and a light breeze. Perfect outdoor, race day weather. Also a perfect day to dress in all black and white and wear an extremely large hat.



Jeff and I at the train station headed to the races.




As we arrived to the race track, the weather was getting a bit hotter, however dark grey clouds were looming (aka day ruining clouds) in the distance. Quite quickly, 'distance' became straight overhead, and then 'straight overhead' quickly became permanent cloud cover and rain for the remainder of the weekend. Perfect day for non-stop rain. Absolutely perfect.






We powered through the rain, thankfully finding shelter under various, random tents throughout the race grounds. I also found my boss and co-worker under one of the tents. I was amazed to actually run into someone I know... as that's very rare for us, especially in a different city. This provided for a good time, and I got to spend some quality (drinking) time with my boss. Perfect.






Jeff's perfect outfit. Sans the rain poncho.

More friends, more rain, more beer


Enduring the rain... cheering on our horse, Americain. Appropriate, I know. Irony, its a French horse.


A picture of our horse, not winning.

All in all we had a wonderful time in Melbourne and a wonderful day at the racetracks... albeit the horse we bet on didn't win. Either way it was a trip, I'd say, that was close to perfect.






No comments:

Post a Comment